Assessment Tips - Back To School Linky Week 2

I'm so excited to link up again with Miss V's Busy Bees and Mrs D's Corner for the Back 2 School Linky - Week 2! This week is all about... ASSESSMENT!
In case you've missed the schedule, here's what we're talking about each week to get you ready for Back To School!
We all know how important assessment is, and we also know how sometimes it just takes... forever. You know like when your PLC has a set aside a day for you to make assessments, and then you sit there with your team and by the end of the day your eyes are bugging out from all of it... maybe that's just me? 

Well, regardless, I decided to go ahead and make my own quick math assessments so that they'd be ready to go whenever I needed them. I created short, 1/4 page assessments for every 2nd grade math standard. 

You can check out the freebie in my TPT shop.
When copying, I only need to copy 6 pages and quickly cut them out. (I'm thinking this year I might actually go ahead and copy ALL of the assessments so that I can just whip out my binder, cut them out, and be ready to go!)
I love these assessments because they only take my kiddos 5 minutes or less to complete. While I love informal assessments with whiteboards and observing independent or group work, I love to have these handy because I can take the time to analyze where my student may have made a mistake.

The last little assessment tip I have is using these little communication rings. I call them that because I teach my students that this is their way of communicating with me their needs. Students keep these rings in their pencil caddies, and whenever they are working independently, they set them beside their work. They move the cards to communicate how they're doing on any given assignment
Assessment rings during independent work
My students found these most useful during Writing Workshop. It took a lot of teaching for them to get comfortable with continuing to write, even when they had a question or needed help with something. If I was conferencing with another group, they had to learn how to keep writing.

Side note: one of my FAVORITE writing tips for dealing with spelling issues... When drafting, I don't want my students to get hung up on spelling errors (we can fix that later), so I tell them to underline the word they are unsure of and keep writing. Later, once they've drafted their piece and have gotten out all of the "meat", we can go back and address spelling. Side note over. :)

That's a few of my tips and tricks for assessment... I hope you can walk away with some useful ideas! What tips and tricks do you have for assessment? Don't forget to link up!