Behavior Management Tricks


I'm so excited to link up with Miss V's Busy Bees and Mrs D's Corner for the Back 2 School Linky! It's all about getting ready for B2S with tips, tricks, and advice on all sorts of different topics! 

Here's a look at the weekly topics we'll be sharing.

This week's topic is all about... Behavior!! And don't worry, I've got a freebie for you if you make it to the end of the post! :) #teachersloverewardstoo


Some days managing behavior seems a little bit like this:

We've all been there, right? 

I'm here today to share with you a few of my favorite behavior management tricks that will hopefully help you survive "those kinds of days". The first trick... DUCK BUCKS. I teach with the amazing Brianna Price from The Price of Teaching, and she is the creator of this fabulous tool. 

Duck Bucks is a very simple classroom reward system that is used just like money. Duck Bucks come in $1, $5, $10, and $20. I give them to students as a reward for anything! It could be helping out a classmate, being a good friend, setting a good example, etc. It's AMAZING what my kiddos will do for a Duck Buck. If we are having a hard time following directions during a lesson or activity, I quietly pull a Duck Buck out of my pocket and hand it to one or two students who are making great choices. Before you know it, everyone is back on track. 

(Click the picture to head to Bri's shop to check them out!)




Now, you're thinking... what do the kiddos spend their Duck Bucks on? Great question!

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the treasure box... mostly because 1.) I'm not very good at keeping it stocked and 2.) The items in it are usually cheap and lame. So, I decided to pick out some rewards that cost ZERO dollars for the teacher and are quite easy to use!

I created classroom reward coupons that were so easy to use! The rewards were things move seats to sit by a friend, first pick for book nooks (read to self spot), chew gum during a lesson, write with a special pen for the day, etc. Admittedly, I did have a coupon that was "Choose a prize from the treasure box," but once my kids looked in the box, they didn't really want anything from it. Sorry, kids!

Here's a look at my reward coupon organizer. I have written on each coupon how many Duck Bucks they cost.


The 2nd trick I want to share with your is my NOISE board. I bought these glittery letters at Hobby Lobby to spell out the word noise. (You could always write it on your whiteboard and be good to go!)


For each activity, the kiddos know the expected voice level, and our school has voice level signs that we all use. When the kiddos are not following the expected voice level, I take a letter down in the word noise. If the class gets down to NO, then there is NO talking allowed. I've also used it for rewards that we may be working towards: No extra dance break (we dance a lot in my room...), No talking at lunch, etc. You get the idea. It's a great visual reminder for the kiddos!

The last quick trick I want to share with you is about managing Class Dojo points. I know many of you have heard and read all about Class Dojo, and if you haven't, there are TONS of blog posts on it! A fellow teacher I work with shared with me how she manages Dojo points, and I absolutely LOVED it. 

Each kiddo has a hundreds chart to track their points. At the end of each day, the kiddos color in the number of Dojo points they earned, and everyone's points reset for the next day. Once the kiddos reach 100 points, they earn a reward. You can use them with the Duck Bucks and reward coupons, or you can have everyone earn the same reward. The choice is up to you! 

If you want a copy of this freebie, you can click the picture and grab it in my TPT shop!


Thanks for stopping by to hear my behavior tricks! I hope you found it useful! I'll be back next week to share about assessment!